Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Remco Gerlich scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl
Sun May 21 15:35:16 EDT 2000

Ben Wolfson wrote in comp.lang.python:
> On 21 May 2000 18:22:26 GMT, scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl (Remco
> Gerlich) wrote:
>
> >Besides, it's apparently easier
> >to use for newbies, who have never learned that 'Friend' and 'friend' are
> >completely unrelated words.
>
> Then they should learn that they are.

Why? I don't see a lot of added benefit. If case insensitivity is both
easier to learn and easier to read, that sounds like Python to me.

> People get marked down on essays for not beginning sentences with
> capitalized words, anyway; it's not like case-sensitivity is a
> revolutionary concept limited only to programming languages.

And there would be similar style guides for programming too. Still, words
don't usually mean different things because of their capitalization. You
Still Understand What This Means.

I'm not fully convinced that case insensitivity is a good idea. But you
don't give arguments against it at all...

Remco Gerlich,  scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Join the fun and copy me into yours!