Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sun May 21 00:39:35 EDT 2000

Mike Fletcher wrote:

> Personally, I have been bit by case problems probably five or six times (in
> five years or so).  That said, I find working with case insensitive
> languages difficult to the point where I will not use them.

The truth of the matter is that, irrespective of whether or
not a language is case sensitive or not, using inconsistent
case for the same thing is an extraordinarily bad idea, and
would be extremely poor engineering practice.

There are very few times where as a lead I exercise authority
over influence, but I have to admit that I simply wouldn't
allow programmers on my team (and probably not on our staff,
sirrah) to use inconsistent case for something.

So I guess it's not so much that case matters to the compiler,
but rather that the case matters to PEOPLE.

I guess we can all threaten to rebel, hack into Guido's personal
computer, and replace all his own personal python code with
randomized capitalization of everything....

*MUHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA*

:)-

C/