Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun May 28 22:20:04 EDT 2000

danielt3 at gte.net (Daniel T.) writes:

> I also personally find it much easer if I don't have to worry about
> whether the variables name is seatbelt, or seatBelt. :-)

Or seabelt, or saetblet, or stealbelth, or whatever.  Yes, _much_ easier!

When I was a regular student, and learning many programming language
(besides programming techniques), we started to say among ourselves that
some were Kleenex-languages, that is, meant for writing programs to be
executed once or twice, then thrown away shortly thereafter, as the code
was clearly not designed for later contemplation.

Most Kleenex-languages we studied were especially easy to write, in that
"much easier" category.  Now that I'm grown up, I'm not much interested in
Kleenex-languages anymore, and would feel sorry if Python was becoming one.