Why Python needs Evangelizing

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sat May 13 08:14:58 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> Oh me too. Python's now really at the very edge of the 'straight up into
>> infinity' part of the exponential curse, um, curve.

> And I--for one--am *delighted* to be an "early adopter"--for once.  (I
> know, I know: Python has been around for many years...)

I'm a mid-to-late early adopter myself. That is, I started with both the
internet and Linux about 3 years before they got really really popular, but
also a number of years after they got usable. I think I'm a bit behind
schedule with Python, as I've adopted it only a year and a half ago, and
it won't take a year and a half more; it'll be sooner. :)

> When I bought "Learning Python", I ended up finding it and the other
> Python books by accident in the "Unix" section of Barnes & Noble, after
> having first scoured the "Languages" section for them.  Since Python
> isn't especially Unix-inspired, perhaps this suggests the need to
> increase Python awareness.

They have a good computer section in the big bookstore here in Utrecht,
but last I checked the Python books were placed under 'web servers'.
I pointed out to them they would be better placed somewhere between
Java and Perl. Perhaps they've moved them now; I might check this
afternoon.

Of course it's hard for a bookstore when the Python 'section' explodes from
a single book to a lot of them quite suddenly. :)

Regards,

Martijn