Case sensitivity/insensitivity

Travis Oliphant olipt at mayo.edu
Mon May 22 11:23:37 EDT 2000

> I can't really see any other real use of actual case sensitivity
> in the language. Does anyone out there actually make use of
> case sensitivity?

I know it may not be the critical time yet, but since many
have voiced their opininon, I will too.

Case sensitivity is very useful when using Python as a mathematical
programming languauge especially in an interactive setting.  I use it
constantly and would be very disappointed if it went away.

For example, mathematics notation often expresses the Fourier transform of
a lower case variable as a capital variable.  This is a very powerful
and convenient way to remind the user which domain the samples are taken
from.  I often use the same construct in Python code and would have to
change a lot of code.

I'm not sure what all the hubbub about case insensitivity is about.
Everybody uses mixed case in writing all the time.  Capital letters have a
purpose in many communication languages, why should capital and lowercase
be indistinguishable in computer languages?

--Travis