(gulp) newbie question - portablity of python

Keygrass nospam at sorry.com
Sun May 14 18:01:53 EDT 2000

Oh, I see now.  I have to install Python.   I certainly don't mind
installing Python on my home computer; no problem there.  But I don't have
access to install Python at the unix workstation at my job.  :-(  They use
unix on the Sun systems, I believe.

I could ask a network adminstator if he or I could install Python.  But ...
I don't think it will receive a warm welcome since many files (I strongly
believe they are text based, but I am not 100% sure) are highly sensitive.
I figured they don't want any unnecessary program lurking on the hard
drives, regardless of the benevolence Python could do for us.  Well, I
suppose I will eventually have to ask.  But until then, I need to first back
up my claim with a reliable Python program.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

-cb

--------------------------
dana_booth <dana at oz.net> wrote in message news:8fmtjo$3ub$0 at 216.39.141.21...
> Keygrass <nospam at sorry.com> wrote:
>
> K: So ... my question is this: Is this really too good to be true?  What I
want
> K: to do it write the program on my  Win98se (at home) and then use that
.exe
> K: or .bat file (or whatever extension it is) at work which uses unix.
>
> TCL/TK also is very portable, and I have written several GUI front ends in
> TCL that call on Python for the "real" work. Both the TCL and Python
scripts
> are written and tested on my Linux workstation. When they're ready for
prime
> time, I move them to an OpenBSD server, where they'll reside for the
Windows