(gulp) newbie question - portablity of python

dana_booth dana at oz.net
Sun May 14 15:08:40 EDT 2000

Keygrass <nospam at sorry.com> wrote:

K: So ... my question is this: Is this really too good to be true?  What I want
K: to do it write the program on my  Win98se (at home) and then use that .exe
K: or .bat file (or whatever extension it is) at work which uses unix.

TCL/TK also is very portable, and I have written several GUI front ends in
TCL that call on Python for the "real" work. Both the TCL and Python scripts
are written and tested on my Linux workstation. When they're ready for prime
time, I move them to an OpenBSD server, where they'll reside for the Windows
users.

The computer that you intend to run Python on must have Python installed,
that's all. If you include propriotory stuff like absolute pathnames, i.e.,
"c:\program files\..., etc., that's up to you, but other than that, the code
is portable.

K: Basically, I want a build a program that will replace words and number on
K: another file.  For example, if I had a file called "Outdoor_sports" that
K: contained the word "baseball bat", I would want my program to change it so
K: it would say "football".

Really easy. Good luck!

--

-----