case-sensitivity compromise proposal

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu May 25 11:02:26 EDT 2000

In article <4.3.1.2.20000523075551.014d9e70 at phear.dementian.com>,
Steven D. Arnold <stevena at permanent.cc> wrote:

>How about a pragma to indicate whether a given Python module was
>case-insensitive?  Since Python is case-sensitive now, and to assist with
>backward compatibility, I propose that case-sensitivity should be the
>default.  Furthermore, we can arrange some way that a user can permanently
>turn on case-insensitivity (or case-sensitivity) as the default for them,
>in which case only programs with the opposite pragma would behave in the
>non-default way.

The big problem is with a case-sensitive module called by a
case-insensitive program.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Yes, but would you kick any of them out of bed?"
"That depends: do we have to do anything with them in the bed, or
are they just in the bed?" -- AM/SJM