Cross-compiling Python

Jan Kybic Jan.Kybic at epfl.ch
Wed May 24 12:25:44 EDT 2000

Hi,
    I am trying to cross-compile Python on my Intel based Linux PC so
that it runs on a ARM Linux machine which is so small (Psion S5), that
compilation there is out of question. The configure script is not very
useable for this purpose as it seems to ignore the --target and --host
switches and even when I insist (by setting the environment variables
CC,...), it still wants to run some tests locally and also in the
installation phase it assumes it is running on the target machine. For
the moment, I am fiddling with the Makefiles but it is not very
productive.

Has anyone here ever tried to cross-compile Python?

Thanks for any help.

Jan