Case sensitivity/insensitivity

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Wed May 24 11:33:24 EDT 2000

In article <39260CB6.464EE302 at san.rr.com>,
Courageous  <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:

>I thought about this for a while, and my suspicion is that the first
>negative reaction that people have against case insensitivity is
>probably the instinctive (and false) idea that everyone would be
>writing python programs without case.

No, I think it's more that many of us have an instinctive revulsion
against trying to read code with random case.  If you read the posts in
all these threads, there is much more acceptance of mono-case languages
than case-insensitive languages.

In addition, while Guido rejects "status quo" as an argument, I think
that's a specious POV.  To change the status quo IMO requires evidence
that the status quo should be changed.  This is a subtle distinction,
but I think it's a critical one.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Yes, but would you kick any of them out of bed?"
"That depends: do we have to do anything with them in the bed, or
are they just in the bed?" -- AM/SJM