python's acceptance

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk
Thu May 4 11:55:58 EDT 2000

Speaking as an occasional Delphi programmer...

Scott Hathaway wrote:
> 1.  In making this transition, I have had trouble because I am not used to
> trying to layout gui's with pure code.

It's not too bad once you get used to it - some squared paper
and a pencil helps to get the initial design down then after
that modify what's there, however... It took me a while to trust
the layout managers to put things in the right places but once
I got over that hurdle I didn't find it too bad.

> If python could get a gui builder

SpecTcl with the SpecPython add in works pretty well for me on
both Unix and windows. Have you tried that?

> platform, it could easily give VB or Delphi a run for their money.  I have
> recently looked at Boa Constructor that lays out wxPython code and lets you
> build a gui!  This is awesome.

I think glade can do the same but haven't really looked or tried
either - Spectcl does most of what I want. Usually i just
handcraft
it because I use python as a scripting tool for typing things
together, thus my GUI is usually a single window front end to
a commandline version of the program...

> 2.  It is nearly impossible for a newbie like me to build an .exe on the
> Windows platform with Python.

Why do you need to?
Why not either distribute Python with your app (use an
intelligent
installer to check if its already there)? Unless you want to hide
the source code from prying eyes?

Alan G.