What is Python 3000?

Wesley C. wesc at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 20 22:04:01 EST 2000

In an article aahz at netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:
> In an older article Aaron J Reichow  <reic0024 at ub.d.umn.edu> wrote:
> >
> >I've seen multiple references to this in many threads.  What exactly
is
> >it?  A long term goal of a Python revision or version?  I had an
accursory
> >look at the python site, and didn't find anything.  Anyone care to
> >enlighten me?
>
> Nobody knows what it is yet.  It is the version that will break some
> compatibility with the existing Python implementations (probably in a
> way similar to the move from Perl4 to Perl5).

at the 8th Int'l Python Conference in late January,
Guido announced that Python 2.0 has been officially
renamed as Python 3000 or "Py3K" for short.

This version will feature numerous architectural
changes and will more than likely break lots of
stuff... hopefully for the better!

anyway, he concluded by saying that at least it
should be on-time, if not a bit early!  ;-)

hope this helps!!

-wesley

"Core Python Programming", Prentice-Hall, TBP Summer 2000

wesley.j.chun :: wesc at rocketmail.com
cyberweb.consulting :: silicon.valley, ca
http://www.roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/

next Python course:

http://www.ucsc-extension.edu/knowledge_is_timeless/qd/softlist.taf?func
tion=detail&X_Number=X444.3