Python x ibook (Mac)

orla_redbird at crosswinds.net orla_redbird at crosswinds.net
Fri Mar 31 21:50:46 EST 2000

In article <lefebvre-3103000956400001 at landru.medcor.mcgill.ca>,
lefebvre at medz.mcgill.ca (Luc Lefebvre) wrote:
> In article <l0310280cb5097202e2fc@[193.78.237.136]>, Just van Rossum
> <just at letterror.com> wrote:
>
> > At 7:45 PM +0000 30-03-2000, Matheus Rodrigues wrote:
> > >Does it mean that IDLE and the Tkinter extensions work fine too ?
> >
> > Big Oops: Tkinter works, but not as smoothly. IDLE can be made to work, but
> > not very well. I should've mentioned that. I guess I'm in a denial phase ;-)
> >
> > The good news is that the MacPython IDE isn't too bad, except it doesn't do
> > syntax coloring...
> >
> > >You said "no threading (yet)". Is there anyone working on that ?
> >
> > Yes, Jack Jansen and others are working on integrating GUSI2, which offers
> > posix threads under MacOS, as well as thread safe sockets.
> >
> > Just
>
> Hi,
>
> I think that there is a module in the contribs folder of the mac distro
> that includes syntax coloring for the Mac IDE.... I fiddled a bit (still
> a newbie) with Tkinter and PMW and both seem to work OK (I believe their
> limitations are that of Tcl/Tk on the Mac, I would expect that as the
> Tcl/Tk Mac port improves so will Tkinter and PMW...).

Tkinter support is an outstanding problem on the Mac and is not Python
specific (except when it comes to trying to run it from within the IDE).
Just a few days ago someone had all of PMW working (well, all the tests
worked) and had no trouble with Tkinter, though personally I have yet to see
this happen.  Syntax coloring and some other nice features do exist if you
like them, though you'll have to patch the IDE yourself.  There have been
lots of fixes since the last release, so when 1.6 binaries come out, things
should be much better.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.