Platf. indep. console lib.

Matti Johannes Kärki makarki.NOSPAM at news.hit.fi
Thu Mar 30 12:46:41 EST 2000

Hi!

It seems that there isn't any platform independent console (text graphics)
library available in core Python distribution (or am I wrong?). Is there
some specific reason for that? As far as I can tell, it should be quite
easy to implement one with NCurses (*nix) and Conio (Windows: Watcom and
Borland directly, Visual C with Win32API?), other platforms, I don't know.

I know that there is some kind of NCurses module for Python but I would
like to see something simple (such as Conio) which also would be supported
under Linux and Win32 in core Python package. It would be nice to know
that when I install the Python package to the computer, I'll be able to
write and run Python programs with text graphics user interfaces. I know
that Tkinter rules, but there has been some situations when I've been
missing console library with move/gotoxy, addch/putch and getch (and with
certainty that my programs will work both under Win32 and Linux terminal).

What do you think?

Sincerely,

    Matti