Tkinter and Tk 8.3

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Fri Mar 17 13:37:37 EST 2000

Timothy Grant <tjg at avalongroup.net> wrote:
> I just checked my archives and I see some discussion regarding Tk 8.3,
> but I saw no resolutions.
>
> I just installed Tk 8.3 and now when I import Tkinter, I get the
> following traceback...
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "broker.py", line 19, in ?
>     from Tkinter import *
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 8, in ?
>     import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
> for Tk
> ImportError: libtk8.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
>
> I'm running python 1.5.2. from RPMS on a RH6.1 box. I also installed the
> new Tk from RPM.
>
> Is there a solution, or should I go back to the older version of tk? I
> only upgraded because there is a tcl app I was looking at that required
> a v8.3 tk.

looks like your _tkinter module is still linked against Tk 8.0...

(note that the original 1.5.2 version doesn't work with Tk 8.1
and later, due to changes in the library initialization code.  get
the latest from the CVS repository.  or stick to 8.0 -- you only
need the libraries, not the tclsh and wish binaries)

</F>