Not a good idea to split comp.lang.python!

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Mon Mar 6 02:30:48 EST 2000

On 03-Mar-00 Warren Postma wrote:
 >  Problems with Splitting are:
 >
 >  1. Everything you wanted out of splitting already is done on threaded news
 >  readers with filtering. Get one if you don't have one. Therefore, it's
 >  Unecessary.

I guess everyone has his/her own opinion on this.

 >  2. It's harmful to Python's progress. For example, comp.lang.python.newbie
 >  is an especially flawed idea. Either (a) you are a newbie, or (b) you
 >  should be helping newbies.  If not, just filter or skip newbie threads.
 >  Keeping experienced and new users seperated is counter productive.

Absolutely. Any split should be done considering popular subjects, not
considering skill.

 >  3. Newsgroup volume is not consistently in the hundreds of messages a day
 >  range, it's more like maximum of 50 a day. That's not enough for two
 >  healthy newsgroups. Better one healthy one than two or five anemic ones,
 >  several of which will be completely empty most of the time.

We had 50 a day a few months ago. The number of postings is steadily
increasing. I have an average reading of ~1000 postings a week, which
makes ~150 a day, which is twice as much as we had in december.

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343