Embedded COM using Python + Remote OLE Automation?

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo at email.com
Fri Mar 3 14:01:10 EST 2000

That has been done with a Java Gateway.  I will dig out where I ran across
that and follow up.

You don't need any Microsoft software to honor the COM interface model.  It
is the registry and COM SCM (System Control Manager, I think) that create
porting/exporting difficulties with regard to creating COM clients and COM
servers, especially COM servers.

The honoring of automation first is also a good principle.  There are some
exotic things that come up around MTS and DCOM though, in addition to
creating the equivalent of exceptions in the face of multi-threading.  I
think it would be cool to be able to interoperate with DCOM and MTS without
having to replicate it.  More of a coexistence approach, and that seems
consistent with your idea.

-- Dennis