Why should I switch to Python?

Patrick Phalen python-list at teleo.net
Fri Mar 31 22:59:08 EST 2000

[Aaron Turner, on Fri, 31 Mar 2000]
:: A friend of mine is trying to convince me we should
:: do a project using ORBit in Python.  I've been
:: coding Perl for over 3 years and really like it.
:: (Especially it's syntax and ability to grok my
:: programming style.)  Now, I understand the Perl
:: vs. Python war and everyone has their preferred
:: taste in the matter.
::
:: What I'd like to hear from people is what technical
:: resons I should switch to Python.  Are there any
:: features that Python has (perhaps in it's OO
:: offering) that Perl lacks?  From what I can tell
:: people tend to prefer Python over Perl mostly
:: for its syntax, which I find very likable.

Aaron,

Please see:

http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html

http://www.perl.com/pub/language/versus/python.html

Plus a Google search on "perl vs python" should give you plenty more to
chew on without reviving that tiresome thread here.