does opensource move faster with python?

Grant Edwards grant at nowhere.
Fri Mar 3 14:50:49 EST 2000

In article <m3ln44t4hz.fsf at greebo.nodomain.de>, Bernhard Herzog wrote:
>"Michal Wallace (sabren)" <sabren at manifestation.com> writes:
>
>My drawing program Sketch might fit this description although I don't
>intend to replace Python with C, only to rewrite some parts in C if the
>Python equivalent turns out to be too slow.

I switched from xfig to sketch a couple months ago.  So far
sketch has been plenty fast enough in interactive use (AMD
K6-350 w/ 64M).  The command-line eps-exporter program is
noticably slower than the transfig equivalent, but not enough
to worry about.

>Python is much too valuable to throw away. Adding support for user
>supplied scripts is a piece of cake, for instance,

And I can testify that writing user scripts is a piece of cake
due to their being in python.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What I need is a
                                  at               MATURE RELATIONSHIP with a