CPAN for python?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Jun 7 22:05:21 EDT 2000

Shae Erisson <shapr at uab.edu> writes:
> If you did it IETF[1] style, I think people would go with it.
> [1] IETF motto: 'rough consensus, running code'

I was thinking about this the other day.  The distutils work seems to
be freezing down nicely; the discussions have gone from requirements
to design to implementation, and are now doing the i-dotting and
t-crossing fixes, with the occasional slightly larger upheaval.  But
the basic principle of running setup.py seems stable.

So, what would people want on top of distutils?  A Debian-style "do
apt-get, upgrade" to update currently installed packages?  A
CPAN-style "fetch and install this module for me, please"?  Simple
version checking?

--amk