JPython and Java integration

Maurice le Rutte _delete_this_mlerutte at square.nl
Wed Jun 28 03:12:20 EDT 2000

Paul Hill wrote in message <3959891B.23073A4 at myriad.com>...
> [...]
>"Laurence V." wrote:
>> If your product is a development tool for Java programmers, it
>> makes more sense to use one of the Java interpreters as
>> your scripting engine. Learning curve = 0. JPython learning curve =
>>?high? for people who don't know it.
>
>The assumption you are making is that the target audience for the
>script writers are Java programers. There are many applications
>where some quisi-end-user or less experienced programmer is just
>adding a few extra business rules, or connecting a few objects >together.
In that case the scripting language of choice would be the
>one that looks the 'cleanest' to the these users.

Exactly, the target audience is not the programmer community and it is very
unlikely that they will know Java beforehand.

I want to use a scripting language because it doesn't require compilation
and it doesn't require the classes to be unloaded or the server to be
restarted after a change is made.

Maurice le Rutte.