compilation

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Tue Jun 27 03:52:36 EDT 2000

On 26 Jun 2000, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> 	Hey people. I tried the FAQ, and I can't find this. I'm a Perl
> programmer exploring Python, and I'm wondering how to do a simple compile pass
> on python source to check syntax. In Perl, I'd just do a perl -cw sourcefile
> and it would do a quick compile pass with warnings on. I know I can start the
> interpreter and import the file as a module, but that's not always desirable.
> Is there a simple command-line way to do this?

#! /bin/sh

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
   echo "Usage: compyle file.py..."
   exit 1
fi

TEMPLATE="from py_compile import compile; compile('"

for file in $*; do
   pgm=$TEMPLATE$file"')"
   python -c   "$pgm" || exit 1
   python -OOc "$pgm" || exit 1
done

   (I know I call python in the loop instead of looping inside python; I do
this by purpose).

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru