Waffling between Python and Ruby

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 14 21:32:31 EDT 2000

> 1.  After using Python seriously for 6 months, I must confess I still
> dislike the "whitespace as syntax".  I like the fact that Ruby uses block
> markers (begin, end) instead of tabs. This means cheifly to me that I don't
> need to worry about how my editor handles tabs and spaces.  Having something
> look correct on the screen, but not work because of misuse of tabs versus
> spaces, or incorrect indentation, is something that still continues to bug
> me.

IMO, the solution to this is to tab to be an illegal character
in python. :)-

> 2. Python uses ":" to introduce a new scope, something I find extraneous,
> and more irritating than begin/end or Ruby's def and end for functions, for
> example.

Yeah, it does seem to be spurious.

I somewhat wish python had Ruby's/Lisp's :THIS-IS-A-KEYWORD syntax. Would
be nice. Rule: any single run of characters not seperated by whitespace
and beginning with a colon is treated like a Python interned string.

C/