Python Productivity over C++

Wim Lavrijsen wlav at atlas03.cern.ch
Fri Jun 9 13:11:15 EDT 2000

Mike Steed <MSteed at altiris.com> writes:
>> From: nbecker at fred.net [mailto:nbecker at fred.net]
>>
>> I rarely need to do this for my classes.  Using STL heavily is a big
>> help.

>This is a surprising thing to say.  STL requires that the types used to
>instantiate its various templates be well-behaved in certain ways, e.g., for
>copying, assigning, and comparing (depending on the "concept" to which the
>template conforms).

All that STL containers require is that your dtor and copy assignment
don't throw. The compiler generated members fullfill that requirement.

>  This means you have to implement your own copy
>constructor, assignment operator, and/or comparison operators for each
>(non-trivial) class.  It may not be difficult, but it is overhead that
>Python does not impose.

Please inform yourself better before making such statements. Blindlessy
drawing conclusions based on the C++ implementation of one particular
vendor from Redmond isn't good for your credability.

Best regards,
      Wim Lavrijsen