Does Python help with the no-Unix handicap?

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Mon Jun 12 02:40:12 EDT 2000

mkx at excite.com wrote:

> In many Perl vs. "other scripting language" discussions, I have often
> seen Perlers state that those who dislike Perl's syntax and structure
> are often non-Unix types,...

I dislike Perl, and I've been using Unix for 15 years.

> So, I come now to Python. After reading much about it's ease of use
> and readability advantages, I see it may be a better alternative. In
> most cases, I can actually get a concept of what the code is doing,
> without picking up a reference book - after only a week of
> experimentation.

Exactamundo, Cunningham. It's my expectation that any programmer
can become a python "expert" within a month of study.

> So my question is this: Is Python a more "Windows-friendly" language?
> Is it's base structure less related to any one specific operating
> system? Is learning Python an exercise in learning the language, and
> not a Unix tutorial? Can I be successful even if I do not use Unix ;)

I've never personally used python on a unix system (I use it on
Win98/NT), and I've never once made use of anything even vaguely
unix-like. While there are indeed os-specific packages, I've
personally touched neither one of them.

Python is the friendliest language I've used in my entire 20 year
history of programming. While Lisp tops Python for potency, the
trade in syntactic weight is well worth the exchange, IMO. Lisp
is annoying, and frankly python is far easier to work with and
debug.

C/