SV: How to execute python scripts under Apache?

Max Møller Rasmussen maxm at normik.dk
Tue Jun 6 04:02:10 EDT 2000

Fra: Jilani Khaldi [mailto:jilanik at tin.it]

>I am thinking to give python a try for my future
>web applications.

May I be so frank as to ask why?

I have developed both in PHP and Python myself. I find that PHP is very easy
to get up and running. Just compile it into the server and it's working. I
have never used Python for web development only cron jobs and the like. What
about PHP has made you want to change?

I am currently devloping under IIS on win2k in server side JavaScript and is
pretty frustrated about it. (Everything has to be bought as an ActiveX
component, and JScript has no library) I am thus considering to change
tools. PHP and Python are my favourites.I really like Python but PHP is so
easy to get running on the server, especially when it has to be combined
with html sites.

I have tried Zope and understand how it works, but the documentation is
non-existing and I really don't like the idea of dtml. I guess that I will
try out mod_python as soon as I get better time. Probably that and
ZPublisher will be just what I am looking for.

Does anybody has some good technical reasons to go with Python instead of
PHP?

Regards

    Max M
    maxm at normik.dk