SV: Python Productivity over C++

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Jun 13 11:58:37 EDT 2000

[BTW, please make sure to retain attributions.  Makes it easier to read
conversations.]

In article <39464CD8.38FB435B at muc.das-werk.de>,
Thomas Thiele  <thiele at muc.das-werk.de> wrote:
> Re-inserted attribution for Aahz:
>>
>> Yup.  And that's precisely why Python looks better and better as your
>> programs get larger.  Python allows you to concentrate on your problem
>> rather than the language.  Python literally allows you to develop the
>> code for your algorithm in realtime, rather than designing your
>> algorithm and *then* writing the code to match your algorithm.
>
>The only difference I see between developing algorythms in C++ and
>Python is that python needs no time for compiling. But the advantage
>of C++ is that I get the most error messages during compilation (->
>earlier!)

<shrug>  I'll accept that your experience is different -- if you've been
reading the whole thread, you'll realize that your experience really is
different.  I do have to wonder whether you've yet learned to think in
Python; it's possible that you're trying to write C++ code in Python,
the way some Perl people find writing Python difficult.

>And I think the developing overhead (algorithms, class design) is
>larger than translation into a special language.

My experience is that Python is so "natural" that language translation
doesn't exist at all, really.  Completely removing the translation
overhead makes it possible to focus almost completely on design, which
gives me more time to try out different approaches.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"real love can't be explained by simplistic platitudes."  --piranha