Tutorials at IPC9

Garry Hodgson garry at sage.att.com
Tue Jun 27 17:11:19 EDT 2000

I'm starting to think about what kinds of tutorials we should have at
the next Python conference.  The last conference had a number of great
tutorials available (see http://www.python.org/workshops/2000-01/tut/
for descriptions).  But I'm wondering what, if anything, we should
change this year.  So I thought I'd try and get a sense of people's
thinking on this.  If you were at IPC8, what did you like, or dislike,
about the tutorials you attended?  If you skipped the tutorials, what
might have tempted you to attend?  Would you prefer more tutorials
covering different subjects?  Or fewer, covering things in more
depth?

I'm not looking for specific topics per se (although I'm open to
suggestions), but rather what kind of classes would be useful.
To get things going, here are some thoughts I had on what might
be good:

More in-depth tutorials, perhaps something that might
build a complete application in Tkinter or Zope, giving
a sense of real implementation issues.  Perhaps even a
two part class:  half lecture and half instructor-led
implementation of some significant, but manageable, project.

Overview courses, to compare and contrast various alternatives
for a given task.  Like, say, a course that would show how to
use Tkinter, wxPython, PyQt, and PyGTK to solve user interface
problems.  This could be either a survey of features, or a
comparison of apps built in each.  I'd prefer the latter;
what do you think?

Feel free to reply to me or the list.  The latter is better,
as I'd like to get some discussion going.

Thanks for your input.

--
Garry Hodgson                   Every night
garry at sage.att.com                a child is born