Which linux distros have Python by default?

Bill Anderson bill at libc.org
Wed Jun 28 19:33:07 EDT 2000

Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> Do most of the "consumer" distros even include kernel sources
> >> by default?  I'm not positive, but I don't think RH includes
> >> kernel sources in the standard "workstation" configuration.
> >
> >In the case of Redhat (and I believe Mandrake), it is basically
> >irrelevant, since the installer and many admin tools require python,
> >making it a mandatory install. They do not install the devel files, but
> >python is available.
>
> Right.  In order to end up with a RH installation without
> Python and Tkinter (and snack) you've got to actually know it's
> there and then intentionally uninstall it after your system is
> up and running.

Yup, and use the --force option to RPM (several other packges requrie
it) ;)

> I just bought a 2.2G removable-media SCSI drive (Castlewood's
> ORB) -- which if it works as advertised is going to be really
> handy.  So, once I've got that going, maybe I'll try out some
> of the other big "Consumer" names (Mandrake, Caldera, Suse,
> Corel) just to see what you get if you pick the default answers
> to all of the intall questions.

My Mandrake users are telling me it is a default installed item.

There is a Linux-orb mailing list, though I don't have the URL ATM. I
can get it after 05-July if you can't find it. AIUI, the ORB basically
works better in Linux ;) Of course, it also depends on which connector
interface it uses. SCSI being the better one :)

> I think I can assume that Debian and Slackware users will know
> whether or not they have Python/Tkinter and how to install it
> if they want to point-and-click insted of "vi /etc/rpshsi.conf".

I would agree with that assumption.