Which linux distros have Python by default?

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Sat Jun 17 19:18:36 EDT 2000

In article <394BE553.99FBC464 at libc.org>, Bill Anderson wrote:

>> >Yeah, but the distribution maintainers will be forced to include it as
>> >a default to be considered seriously.
>>
>> Do most of the "consumer" distros even include kernel sources
>> by default?  I'm not positive, but I don't think RH includes
>> kernel sources in the standard "workstation" configuration.
>
>In the case of Redhat (and I believe Mandrake), it is basically
>irrelevant, since the installer and many admin tools require python,
>making it a mandatory install. They do not install the devel files, but
>python is available.

Right.  In order to end up with a RH installation without
Python and Tkinter (and snack) you've got to actually know it's
there and then intentionally uninstall it after your system is
up and running.

I just bought a 2.2G removable-media SCSI drive (Castlewood's
ORB) -- which if it works as advertised is going to be really
handy.  So, once I've got that going, maybe I'll try out some
of the other big "Consumer" names (Mandrake, Caldera, Suse,
Corel) just to see what you get if you pick the default answers
to all of the intall questions.

I think I can assume that Debian and Slackware users will know
whether or not they have Python/Tkinter and how to install it
if they want to point-and-click insted of "vi /etc/rpshsi.conf".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  HOW could a GLASS
                                  at               be YELLING??