os.path.isdir strange behaviouring

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Jun 27 10:15:34 EDT 2000

In article <kuem5juy3d.fsf at lasipalatsi.fi>, Erno Kuusela  <erno at iki.fi> wrote:

>    Aahz> but that doesn't really matter; the point is that whatever
>    Aahz> internal function gets called on the *entire* path returns
>    Aahz> an error, therefore the path cannot be a directory.
>
>but it is indeed a directory - the os is just telling the you that
>you are not permitted to have any information on that filesystem object
>(including whether it exists).

That's a matter of point of view: if you're looking at it from the POV
of the OS, you're correct; if you're looking at it from the POV of your
program, I don't think it's correct.  The problem is that you literally
know nothing about /foo/bar because your permission problem is actually
with /foo.  Defining what to call that situation from the program's POV
is somewhat difficult; I'm comfortable with saying, "no such directory".
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question,
but to post the wrong information.  --Aahz