Does Python help with the no-Unix handicap?

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Mon Jun 12 02:23:30 EDT 2000

> In many Perl vs. "other scripting language" discussions, I have often
> seen Perlers state that those who dislike Perl's syntax and structure
> are often non-Unix types, and thus are not used to common Unix
> concepts. And, since Perl was born as a Unix admin tool, us "Windows
> types" will likely be lost.

   I think that was part of my problem with Perl. While I can use Unix, its
at a low level of competence - I count myself lucky to survive a session
with vi without pulling the power cord to stop the torture. Coming from an
RSX/11M+, Mac, OS/2, Windows background I found the syntax choices in Perl,
which probably appear obvious to native Unixers, bizarre and difficult to
reason with. Python does not try to use much 'clever syntax' at all making
it much easier for me.

   This leads to not liking the 'augmented assignment' addition. The only
examples of augmented assignment that are used often enough to have their
own special syntax are addition and subtraction. Even for these, I'd prefer
to see syntax that looks like function calls similar to Modula 2.

> So my question is this: Is Python a more "Windows-friendly" language?
> Is it's base structure less related to any one specific operating
> system? Is learning Python an exercise in learning the language, and
> not a Unix tutorial? Can I be successful even if I do not use Unix ;)

   Its more OS-neutral than Windows friendly and there are plenty of us
Windows and Macintosh users here to prove it.

   Neil