ANN: cgi-buffer 0.1

Mark Nottingham mnot at mnot.net
Tue Jun 27 14:40:17 EDT 2000

Quoting Skip Montanaro <skip at mojam.com>:

> After taking a quick peek at the referenced web page for cgi-buffer, a
> couple things came to mind:
>
>     1. Python 1.6 will support HTTP/1.1.  Don't know if this will affect
>        your library or not.

I've heard rumours of this, and have been meaning to check it out and give
feedback (part of my day job is HTTP compliance testing).

The question is, what do you mean by 'support HTTP/1.1'? That covers a lot of
ground. My library probably won't be affected, because it improves things for
1.0 clients as well, and the 1.1 mechanisms are probably not implemented. I'll
be writing up a paper explaining this When I Get Time (ha).

>     2. Python 1.6 will have a new module, atexit, that adds a little smidgen
>        of protocol on top of sys.exitfunc in the form of a register
>        function, thus allowin multiple modules to register exit functions
>        without stepping on each others' virtual toes.  If atexit gets loaded
>        and sees that sys.exitfunc is already defined (and not its own exit
>        func) it will simply add that function to the list of exit functions,
>        so your code should work unchanged *if* it gets there before atexit
>        does.

COOL! I was pondering on that just the other day.

Cheers,