Python and Video for Windows?

David Gobbi dgobbi at minime.irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Jun 14 14:48:03 EDT 2000

Peter Schneider-Kamp <petersc at stud.ntnu.no> wrote:
> I am currently working on a robot control project and I have
> to use a Video for Windows compatible video camera.

> Is there any possibility to get this working with Python?
> Or is there some C/C++/Java based solution which I could
> easily write an extension for?

> All I need is really the raw image data. No fancy control
> stuff or gamma correction.

> don't-wanna-do-it-in-C++---please-save-me-ly y'rs
> Peter

Swig is probably your best friend here.  I wrote a python interface
to the Matrox Imaging Library (i.e. for the Matrox Meteor frame grabber)
in a couple days that was essentially complete.  Of course,
the Matrox Imaging Library has a coherent API, whereas VFW doesn't...

I can send you my SWIG .i files for the Matrox interface,
as well as some C++ code that uses VFW.  The C++ code is not
for a standalone app, unfortunately, it is a VTK class (and
I doubt that you want to build VTK + the VTK/Python interface
simply to grab an image into a Python string though that is
a possibility).

or-use-VFW-via-VTK-via-Java-via-jpython-ly y'rs
David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group