Python COM for Linux?

Reini Urban rurban at sbox.tu-graz.ac.at
Tue Jun 27 11:04:55 EDT 2000

scoota at my-deja.com wrote:
>I'm writing an automation interface for a large system embedding Python
>as the script language.  To keep the scripts as easy to write as
>possible (for the end-user) I'm providing a set of extension objects
>written in C++.  What I would ideally like is for these objects to fire
>events which are then handled in the Python script.  So far I can see
>no platform independent way of doing this except using explicit
>callbacks (which is messier than I would like).

And you really believe that COM events are less messier than your
approach? come on.
Explicit callbacks are always easier to write and understand than
registration with the COM eventsink manager object.
But on the other hand you loose portability and transparency for the
end-user. This is what COM is good for.

the german software ag has a DCOM port for linux. try that if you have
to.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html