Python GUI requires tcl?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 3 14:43:44 EDT 2000

Ed Ohsone <eosn at rahul.net> wrote:

> Is there another graphic package which is more
> compact, I mean, which requires python + the graphic toolkit only
> without the extra burden of loading another language like tcl?

All other solutions require the GUI toolkit plus a Python wrapper
library. Wxpython even requires three parts: the GUI toolkit,
the Wxwindows C++ wrapper/extension, and the Python wrapper.

> How about the stability of the python's tk-based graphic package?

It seems pretty stable. However, if you need more complicated widgets,
like treeviews, you've got to make them up yourself from simpler
tk widgets - and you might introduce bugs yourself ;-).

> As far as I know, tk is intricately connected to tcl in its C source.
> Therefore, the python's GUI may be buggier than the original tk based on tcl.
> Of course, it can be less buggier :).
> If you have experience in both, please let me know.

You can safely try all options and determine which one fits your
requirements best. I don't think there are any major problems with
either Tkinter, PyQt/KDE, Wxpython, pyGTK, PyGnome, PyFLTK, Foxpy or
Pythonwin, other than the absolute impossibility to remember the right
CaPiTaliSaTion for each one ;-). Oh, and installation might sometimes,
for some versions, for most toolkits, prove to be a bit of a poser.

I prefer PyQt/PyKDE myself - it nice, clean, full-featured and stable,
but I think that having all these choices is great.

Go to http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/808292924.247038364 for
an overview of all your choices...

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org