Python Productivity over C++

Frank V. Castellucci frankc at colconsulting.com
Tue Jun 13 00:29:58 EDT 2000

Courageous wrote:

> > >Then I move to C.  The process took about twice as long as the C++
> > >attempt; not counting the time it took for me to write miscellaneous
> > >libraries (stack, memory allocation), I noticed that I was spending far
> > >more time hunting pointer bugs and syntax errors than writing new
> > >code. oThis was the longest port; it took me about four times longer than
> > >it did in Python.
>
> Although, to be fair, any seasoned C programmer has his or her
> own preferred set of utility functions for doing hashtables,
> stacks, lists, and so forth. I have a set of macro-expansion
> tools for that that are far more efficient than the standard
> template library could ever pray to be (written by a nut who
> would meticulously process to assembly and analyze the number
> and nature of assembly instructions issued for the equivalent
> C... he was really freaky :).

But this is somethings we had to do. I know you've heard the old "When I
was your age I walked to school", which the new cry of us greying and
balding is "When I was your age I had 64k on a mainframe". Now you look
on the sideboard of some pc product$ with requirements of 128 Mb just to
USE the damn things.

--
Frank