Copyright Notice in Commercial Software

Paul Hughett hughett at mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 2 09:59:09 EDT 2000

Steve Lamb <morpheus at despair.rpglink.com> wrote:
: On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 22:04:22 -0600, Andrew Dalke <dalke at acm.org> wrote:
:>The GPL, which you are probably thinking of, does not allow similarly
:>unfettered use of their code.  Packages compiled with GPL code
:>restrict their use to only GPL-compatible licenses.

:     That's a new one to me.  I've never heard of the GPL requiring things
: that
: I compile with a GPLed compiler to be distributed also under that license.
: I've only seen it where the distributed /code/, if modified and recompiled
: must also be distributed under the GPL.

That's not what was meant.  If you compile and link a program that consists
of your own code plus *any* GPLed code, the whole thing must be distributed
under the GPL.  I much prefer a less restrictive license, such as Python's.

Paul Hughett