Where are the math functions?

Phil Austin phil at geog.ubc.ca
Sun Jun 11 22:19:24 EDT 2000

hzhu at mars.localdomain (Huaiyu Zhu) writes:

> I'm quite puzzled by not being able to find most of the common special
> functions, such as (incomplete) gamma, beta and bessel and erf.

[snip]

Travis Oliphant (http://oliphant.netpedia.net/)
has wrapped the Cephes function library
(http://www.netlib.org/cephes/index.html).  Here's the first few
paragraphs of the Cephes README:

          CEPHES MATHEMATICAL FUNCTION LIBRARY

     This computer software library is a collection of more than
400 high quality mathematical routines for scientific and
engineering applications.   All are written entirely in C
language.  Many of the functions are supplied in six different
arithmetic precisions: 32 bit single (24-bit significand), 64 bit
IEEE double (53-bit), 64 bit DEC (56-bit), 80 or 96 bit IEEE long
double (64-bit), and extended precision formats having 144-bit
and 336-bit significands.  The extended precision arithmetic is
included with the function library.

     The library treats about 180 different mathematical
functions.  In addition to the elementary arithmetic and
transcendental routines, the library includes a substantial
collection of probability integrals, Bessel functions, and higher
transcendental functions.

     There are complex variable routines covering complex
arithmetic, complex logarithm and exponential, and complex
trigonometric functions.

Phiil