Can't execute an external program !

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Jun 14 15:22:30 EDT 2000

In article <dCL15.4673$cQ.38267 at news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
  "Neil Hodgson" <neilh at scintilla.org> wrote:

> # Module 'commands'
> #
> # Various tools for executing commands and looking at their output and
> status.
> #
> # NB This only works (and is only relevant) for UNIX.
>
>    It'd be nice if commands was fixed to work on Windows.

It appears the only real Unixism (apart from hard-coding "ls -l" etc)
is the use of os.popen().

It appears very unlikely that os.popen() will be made portable in the
1.6 timeframe.

An option that _could_ make it would be to hack os.py, and attempt to
use win32pipe.popen for os.popen.  There is a precedent -
os.path.abspath() attempts to use win32api.GetFullPathName() if
available.

As other people start making additional/competing Python distributions
for Windows, we will (hopefully) find many of these win32 extensions as
standard.  If we dont, then someone who _does_ bundle them is likely to
have a more successful distribution, IMO.

Any thoughts on that?

Mark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.