Can't execute an external program !

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Jun 14 18:43:53 EDT 2000

In article <01cf01bfd63b$d6ad0120$4500a8c0 at thomasnb>,
  "Thomas Heller" <thomas.heller at ion-tof.com> wrote:

> I have some mixed feelings with these hidden dependencies in the core
> distribution of optional extension modules.

Agreed.  Better solutions welcome :-)

> What would happen if win32api is not installed? Fail silently?
> Print a warning? Require the installation of win32all?

In the case of os.abspath(), it does the "best it can", using the same
code Unix uses.  It wont fail, but it is not guaranteed to provide a
fully qualified filename in that case.

In the case of os.popen, its not clear what to do, as the core Python
cant work at all without it.  Whatever we come up with, it is surely
better than the current situation, which often yields an exception,
with the error message "The command completed successfully" :-(

Of course, the best solution would be for MS to simply fix popen!

Mark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.