numpy installation woes

David Porter jcm at bigskytel.com
Wed Jun 7 20:28:53 EDT 2000

* long_way_home at my-deja.com <long_way_home at my-deja.com>:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to pyhton and have tried to install numpy, but the darn thing
> doesn't recognise it's existence.  I have also installed MatPy and that
> works fine.  When I try to import it I get the message
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named Numeric
>
> although the directory is there.

What happens if you start python from the directory that numpy is in and
then import Numeric? If that works, then you need to put the directory on
your path. See site.py in the standard library for how this works. [ Quick
explanation: if you have numpy at /usr/lib/python/site-packages/numpy, then
create a file named numpy.pth in /usr/lib/python/site-packages with the word
numpy as its contents. ]

  david.

--
A world comfortable disease.  Progress is not a comfortable disease.
  -- e.e.cummings in a blender