Text processing for a non-programmer

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Jun 15 09:19:34 EDT 2000

In article <TdsX4.12$zT4.3106 at news3.dion.ne.jp>,
S D G <colin at doco.net.this_part_is.invalid> wrote:

>I'm a tech writer with practically no programming experience, but
>I'm interested in learning programming so as to be able to write
>some text manipulation programs.  It seems like Python would be a
>good language to start with :)
>
>As a starting project, I'd like to write something that will format
>my usenet followups nicely.
>
>Something like: Leave all the headers alone Wrap unquoted lines at
>the 65th column If quoted lines are longer than 80 characters, wrap
>them
>
>Has anybody got a similar python script that I can use as a starting
>point.  I learn best by hacking examples :)

Hmmm....  There's a C program called 'par' that does this, but what
you're asking to do is actually a pretty tricky problem.  I think you'd
be better off finding a simpler first project.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"real love can't be explained by simplistic platitudes."  --piranha