Linux/NT python startup speed

Quinn Dunkan quinn at mark.ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Jun 22 23:10:23 EDT 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:17:52 +0000, Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd at zip.com.au>
wrote:
>Niklas Frykholm wrote:
>>
>> I've been noticing a significant difference in the start-up speed of
>> Python on my NT machine and on a Linux system where I have an account.
>>
>> On the Linux system
>>
>>         python -c "print 'hello'"
>>
>> times to about 0.1s.
>>
>> However, on the NT system, the very same command takes 4.0 s.
>>
>> Can someone explain this difference. (The processor on the Linux system is
>> certainly not 40 times faster.)
>
>It could be Linux's disk caching that gives Linux a huge win here. If

4 seconds is too long, even for NT.  There was a thread a while back in which
some people more knowledgable about windows discussed the reasons... I think
it had to do with DLLs and things, and someone had a stripped down
python15.dll that helped out...  anyway, I con't figure out how to use deja
news any more, but if you can, search for 'startup time' and 'windows' and you
oughta find it.

Sorry I can't be less vague :)