Newbie Q: Zope with static content?

Michel Pelletier michel at digicool.com
Wed Jan 19 17:52:32 EST 2000

Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> Good day,
>         I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup to discuss this -- I read
> this newsgroup offen, but do not subscribe to the Zope mailing list(s).
>         I am currently using Zope to develop some web-based applications,
> and am really liking it.  Also, I am needing to have a webcam for this
> site.  I had it working fine under Apache simply updating the jpeg on the
> disk every 30 seconds.  But Zope, as far as I can see, cannot access
> "static" content straight off the disk -- like I was doing with the webcam
> jpegs with Apache.
>         Is there anyway Zope can read a file straight off the disk,
> presumably within it's own directory structure? (I've Zope installed at
> /var/zope)

Use an External Method: open file, return it to the browser, close
file.  Remember, it's all python!

> could run an Apache process just to server the webcam, but I
> would like to avoid doing that.  The other option I see is to have the
> jpeg uploaded to the Zope FTP server.  I'm having problems getting xtp to
> work.
>         Also, I think it'd be handy, for other reasons, to know how one
> can get Zope running zserver to access static content saved as flat files
> on the filesystem.

Look at medusa's http_server, it can server static content (Zope's
zhttp_server subclasses http_server).  You will need to hack up z2.py a
bit to get it to load medusa's static server as well as Zope's dynamic
one (or instead of).

-Michel