Tkinter and wxPython

Gordon Williams g_will at cyberus.ca
Mon Jan 24 08:10:35 EST 2000

Timothy Grant <tjg at avalongroup.net> wrote in article
<388B060B.D13F7B64 at exceptionalminds.com>...
> OK, After just spending three weeks learning Tkinter on-the-fly, I have
> to ask this question, what advantages/disadvantages are there to each
> Tkinter and wxPython?

My reason for moving to wxPython from Tkinter is due to the slow speed in
drawing lines on canvas. wx was faster on the order of 200 to 1800 times
for the 1000 to 10000 lines that I plotted.  These benchmark times were
posted on the list earier if you are interested.

I found that Tkinter was easier to learn and use primarily due to the
package small size.  wxPython has a *lot* of features many of which are
redundant.  There are two, three and sometimes four ways of doing the same
thing.  This does not add to the clarity and adds a lot to my memory
overload.  wxPython is much more powerful than Tk from what I have seen of
both.

Robin has been very good at answering wx questions on the wx mailing list.
This is a *big* plus, but I dont know how he is going to keep up with the
volume.  The number of people that are now using wx is growing
exponentially.

My experience is only with MSW, but loading the package was very simple:
just download and install in your python directory.

Good luck,

Gordon Williams