A modest proposal

Vetle Roeim vetler at ifi.uio.no
Wed Jan 19 17:22:43 EST 2000

[warning: the humour impaired should skip this and go back to
discussing what they think is wrong with python.. preferably somewhere
far away from here]

* Paul M.
> Dear Pythoneers,
>
> Inspired by recent postings to this newsgroup I've decided that
> Python, and in particular the entire Python user base, has been going
> about things all wrong.  I've decided I would like to be able to code
> in python something like this:
>
> def fun(a,b,c)
> {
>     if a eq b:
>   if b ne c
>                  print "Oooh, random changes are fun"
>                    a = b = c
>                  end
> end
> }
>
> Important points to note:
>
> 1) I can use whatever god-awful indentation scheme I want
> 2) Colons after "def" and "if" are purely discretionary
> 3) The compiler can decide what I mean when I use "="
> 4) Readability is greatly improved
>
> I can't believe that nobody has changed this before - can't you see
> that MILLIONS of users are crying out for these features!

No, no, no! You've got it _all_ wrong.
It should be like this:

PROCEDURE FUN(A,B,C)
BEGIN
  IF A EQ B THEN
  BEGIN
    IF B NE C THEN
    BEGIN
      PRINT "Bah! This is better!"
      A := B := C
    END
  END
END

*My* points are much, much better than your pathetic points:

1) There is NO ambuiguity as to where each block starts.
2) All names are written with big letters, to make the code easier to
   read. (This obliterates your point about readability my method is
   gazillion times better.)
3) THEN is used instead of those idiotic colons.
4) I say so. So there.

*sigh* .. sorry; i just couldn't leave it alone.

<i-wanna-discuss-this-too>-ly y'rs - vr