More Tkinter questions

Timothy Grant tjg at avalongroup.net
Sun Jan 9 12:03:01 EST 2000

Hi all,

I'm having a great time playing with Tkinter, and am quite pleased with
some of the stuff I've accomplished, however, I'm having quite a bit of
difficulty understanding a couple of concepts on a particularly complex
screen display.

I'm basically clueless about how to accomplish what I want to accomplish
and how the various layout managers work. Ready for some ASCII art....

| Frame A                               |
+--------------+----------+-------------+
|Frame B       | Frame C  | Frame E     |
|              |          |             |
|              |          |             |
|              |          |             |
|              +----------+             |
|              | Frame D  |             |
|              |          |             |
|              |          |             |
|              |          |             |
|              |          |             |
+--------------+----------+-------------+

Of course each one of the frames contains a number of widgets.

When using the grid layout manager it seems to me that each frame should
have the following attributes:

Frame A  row=0, column=0, columnspan=3
Frame B  row=1, column=0, rowspan=2
Frame C  row=1, column=1
Frame D  row=2, column=1
Frame E  row=1, column=2, rowspan=2

However, once I start adding various widgets to the various frames
things go south really fast. It appears that I don't get a new grid when
I start adding objects to a frame, but I work on some sort of master
grid. When this happens all of the rows and columns shown above start
losing there relationships.

Can someone give me a good solution to this?

BTW: it doesn't help that none of the frames hold a specified size when
widgets start getting added to them.

Thanks very much!

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Chief Technology Officer              tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer            www.exceptionalminds.com
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.                   (503) 246-3630