Choosing a language

Doug Stanfield DOUGS at oceanic.com
Sun Jan 30 13:48:02 EST 2000

Python is an excellent first language (or second or fourteenth for that
matter). I found putting together some cgi programs for the first time easy
enough.  I might have found doing cgi programming as my first Python
programs very frustrating though.

I'd suggest if you aren't familiar with the programming process start by
working through as many tutorials as you can. Follow the links on the Python
home page <http://www.python.org/>, --> 'Introductions to Python'
<http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html> 'Introductions to Python programming
for non-programmers' where there are three currently listed.  I consistently
hear good things about Alan Gaulds tutorial for the complete beginner.

I find the greatest strength of Python to be the interactive interpreter.
In essence it is a sandbox to play in to try things out.  There is no other
way to learn to program than to write programs, but writing them can be
frustrating if you can't get into the middle of the execution and find out
what those commands you wrote are really doing.  The interpreter is the tool
for that.  Almost without fail if I can't make a program work I'll try a
sequence of commands in the interpreter that show me the problem.  While
you're learning to program, this instant feedback can make all the
difference in speeding you to comprehension.

Trying to jump right into programming cgi puts a couple of layers between
you and the results.  I think the only effective way to do it as a beginner
would be to have the interpreter available to try out and verify your
programming ideas before you try to call them using a web browser.

When you do get started learning, another great resource is the Python Tutor
mailing list.  Check out <http://www.python.org/psa/MailingLists.html#tutor>
to subscribe.  There you can get good direction on the how to program
questions as well as the Python questions.

I'd suggest you spend two weeks to a month absorbing all you can before you
start trying to do the cgi stuff.  When you do, a good resource is
<http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/web_python.html> which
among other things contains a link to 'Writing CGI Programs in Python'
<http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Python/CGI/> which answers most of your
'since I want to focus on CGI, what would be the best resources to check
out' question.

Good luck,
-Doug-