tabs do WHAT?

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Tue Jan 25 11:07:44 EST 2000

    Thomas> C++ is a monster because of its origin (comptibility with C),not
    Thomas> because of the way it evolved. The evolution of python is quite
    Thomas> similar as far as I can see : people try out new stuff
    Thomas> (e.g. Tismer's stackless python), some of it ends up in the
    Thomas> official python distribution.

Christian Tismer's stackless python is more akin to someone modifying the
code generator for C's switch statement or porting C to a new instruction
set architecture than modifying the language programmers see.  Lots of stuff
happens under the covers that has nothing to do with the language definition
(John Skaller will object to my use of the term "language definition" ;-).
Deciding to admit visible block delimiters would be such a change.

Perhaps we should assemble a list of all the deja.com or egroups.com URLs
that pertain to Python's indentation style and stick 'em somewhere easy to
get at.  Then we can print it out and bludgeon people with the resulting
ream of paper when they raise the question (and, of course, add their URL to
the list for the next time)...

who-needs-trees?-ly y'rs,

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/